Saturday, August 15, 2009

District 9

I just want to say that I have been a sci-fi fan for quite a long time since I was a kid. My dad was a hardcore trekkie which was always my forte (star wars was never my thing after i got past 16) I forsaked show for a deeper story which i always felt Trek was better at instead of focusing on one character (Anakin) it focused on a whole universe of characters. I went into District 9 expecting a lot. Harry Knowles from Aint It Cool News had been pumping it up constanly since Comic-Con and he has never led me astray and I was excited. I wasn't even close to expecting what was delivered. A wonderfully crafted story around aliens, sociology, and how we would deal with them as humans. This movie not only delievers as a great sci fi film with kick butt robot suits and guns that make people explode which are totally amazing, but it touches to the deepest emotional human senses. It shows how messed up we are as a race and what would end up happening if we ever made contact with a peaceful alien race that meant us no harm we would treat them like poop and take advantage of them just to get their stuff. I have never seen a movie like District 9 on film before. When I saw the newest Star Trek I was blown away and every movie this summer that I have seen after has had to live up to its expectations. District 9 raise above them to a point where i think nothing else will ever pass it.

No comments:

Post a Comment